Many dynamic improvements are taking place in AMS. We’re excited to announce that we’re proceeding with a new model of care that significantly lowers the patient-to-prime therapist ratio. This will intensify the meaningful work that can be accomplished, and also strengthen our team approach. As a team member, you’ll have many opportunities to assist people making significant change in their lives. You’ll be supported by a new management team, and highly skilled colleagues with a significant range of experience and expertise in addictions treatment. We’re doing leading edge research through our Post-Discharge Outcomes study with the Homewood Research Institute, and guiding all program development based on existing and new evidence.
We are hiring Full-Time Addictions Counsellors for the Homewood Health Centre and are looking for you. You’re a great fit, if you thrive in a fast-paced environment, are passionate about innovation, foster collaboration, and are committed to service excellence.
Hours of work: Permanent, Full-Time, 35 hours a week, evenings and possible weekends
The Addiction Counsellor provides group and individual assessment and treatment interventions to individuals to help them recover from the disease of addiction. The Addiction Counsellor is involved in the assessment, treatment, and aftercare phases of the patient’s recovery process. This includes facilitating psychoeducational and process oriented groups to individuals struggling with concurrent disorders, and special populations that include emerging adults, health care professionals, and uniformed professionals. Competence in the 12 core functions of Addiction Counsellors is required along with knowledge of 12 Step facilitation, Motivational Interviewing, and Cognitive-Behavioural treatment. Please note that the Addiction Medicine Service offers abstinence based treatment.
What you’ll be doing:
• Provides counseling to support the individual’s addiction and mental health recovery
• Develops and presents psycho-educational and psycho-dynamic sessions to clients/patients in individual or large group formats
• Provides a learning experience for volunteers, staff and students through supporting their observer role in group and/or by supervising students.
• Leads group counselling session
• Liaises with referral sources and other relevant outside organizations regarding patient/client’s progress
• Supports patient’s/clients’ discharge planning through referral to appropriate community resources
• Assists patients/clients in coordinating outpatient counselling and/or follow-up
What we’re looking for:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a recognized Social Sciences program with addiction specific education
• Must hold valid registration with the relevant college/governing body in Ontario or in pursuit of relevant credential
• Certification in Addiction Counselling (ICADC) preferred
• Membership with Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF) preferred
• Experience in group and individual counselling, strong customer service skills
• Experience coordinating client care with other service providers
• Demonstrated experience in concurrent psychiatric disorders
• Ability to work independently; skills in presenting to large groups; ability to work within an interdisciplinary team; excellent time management and organizational skills
• Evidence of good work and attendance record
• Demonstrated commitment to Homewood’s Values (Service Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration, Integrity)
• Commitment to working within Homewood’s Health and Safety Standards
Why work for us:
We are driven by our values and are passionate about improving lives. We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package and professional development opportunities. Our remarkable organizational culture also makes for an exceptional workplace environment. Join us and work along-side highly motivated people who are collaborative and focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers.
In accordance with the various provincial legislations that we operate under, Homewood Health is committed to working in collaboration with any team member who may require workplace accommodation in order to successfully perform any or all aspects of their role.
Join Homewood Health and be part of an exceptional team that is helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives. We thank all applicants for their interest!
About Homewood Health
Homewood Health is Canada's leader in mental health and addiction services and we offer the most comprehensive and integrated continuum of services available in Canada. We are redefining mental health and addiction services to help Canadians live healthier, more productive and more fulfilling lives.
With over 130 years of experience, Homewood Health Centre is one of Canada's largest and leading facilities for medically focused, physician-led treatment of mental health and addiction disorders.