Position Specific Information
This position will be housed at the Mecklenburg County Detention Center in uptown Charlotte.
Candidates are required to be credentialed or licensed with the NCASPPB.
The position hours are Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.
The candidate for this position will be responsible for providing treatment services (individual counseling, group counseling, facilitating screenings and assessments, and case management duties) following the 12 Core Functions of substance use counseling.
Provide counseling to individuals with various substance use and mental health issues. This position, with a high degree of latitude, is responsible for providing general counseling, developing person-centered plans, and providing educational lectures based on the 12 core functions of substance use counseling.
• Provide substance use services based on the 12 core functions of substance use counseling
• Provide individual and group counseling
• Assist with the development of the client’s person-centered plan and monitor progress
• Complete documentation in accordance with Federal, state and county policies
• Participate in clinical supervision
• Provide didactic education on recovery related topics
• Generate letters on behalf of clients to verify participation in treatment
• Conduct random urine drug screens or Breathalyzer tests
• Complete Incident Reports as needed
• Maintain client record
• Work on an interdisciplinary team and communicate daily with the team
• May be required to staff shelters in the event of a disaster or assist with other mass care duties in the event of an emergency
Experience: Minimum of three years of experience in substance abuse counseling.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in a human services field.
Licenses and Certifications:
• Certified as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC), Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist (LCAS), by the North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board, provisionally licensed individual may be considered.
• Requires a valid North Carolina or South Carolina Driver’s License.
• May require the ability to obtain and maintain Mecklenburg County Driving Privileges.
Previous work experience in a criminal justice setting.
About Mecklenburg County
Charlotte, NC - At Mecklenburg County, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are with support, inclusive culture, and technology to become the best version of you. We’re counting on YOUR unique voice and perspective to help Mecklenburg County become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
Community Support Services (CSS) transforms lives and community by supporting veterans, ending homelessness, treating substance use, and preventing and intervening in community and domestic violence. As a department in Mecklenburg County’s Health and Human Services Agency, CSS maximizes community partnerships and collaborative opportunities to improve access to services and advocate for the needs of special populations.