PEER LEADER RESIDENT
Loudoun Serenity House is seeking a live-in, Peer Leader Resident to help facilitate the support,
management and supervision of fellow residents’ overall activities of a sober living home located in
Leesburg, VA. NOTE: Responsibilities can be performed on a part-time basis and candidate may
work another part-time or full-time job.
REPORTS TO: Chair and Operations Chair, Loudoun Serenity House
The Peer Leader Resident will:
• Serve as a mentor to fellow residents to promote hope and empowerment in their recovery
• Monitor residents’ compliance with sober living policies and procedures
• Increase awareness and support of fellow residents’ access to and involvement/participation
in self-help programs and other organizations that provide additional recovery resources and
• Act as informal educator to other team members to facilitate understanding and empathy of
each resident’s unique and subjective experience and perceptions.
• Assume leadership role in resolving resident conflicts as they arise.
• Oversee testing of any resident suspected of using a mood-altering substance, and
subsequent discharge of any resident who tests positive.
• Manage and secure residents’ access to medications box.
• Assign, monitor, and track residents’ timely completion of indoor and outdoor chores.
• Conduct weekly bedroom and common area checks for compliance with house cleaning
requirements and repair needs.
• Reside at the home 5 nights minimum from curfew (10:00 p.m. on weeknights, 11:00pm on
weekends) until 6:30am.
• Lead Monday-Friday, 7:00am meditation/reading and 8:00am Saturday and Sunday
meditation/reading (based on work schedule)
• Lead 6pm Monday night weekly house meeting
• Attend Wednesday evening 7pm Women’s Recovery meeting with the residents.
• Conduct and document monthly fire drills and maintain written records of the results.
• Schedule and conduct intermittent shopping trips for food or other needed supplies for
Loudoun Serenity House (e.g., biweekly food run from Loudoun Hunger Relief) as needed.
• Participate in monthly community service event with fellow residents.
• Coordinate collection of weekly rent payments from fellow residents for LSH
• Provide ad hoc reporting as defined or tasked by LSH Board or management.
Candidates for the Peer Leader Resident position must have:
• H.S. diploma
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Minimum 3 years of sobriety using a 12-step program/approach in AA or NA.
• 2 years proven leadership / management of a team / group.
• 2 years of demonstrated experience utilizing strong communication and interpersonal skills.
In addition to being provided a free room/apartment located in the house, the Peer Leader Resident
will be paid a weekly stipend.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you meet all the mandatory requirements and are interested in applying, please provide a resumeand cover letter introducing yourself. The cover letter should include answers to the following
1. Tell us about your interest and personal experience in a substance abuse field or
recovery program? And how that relates to applying for this position?
2. Give us an example of a time in your experience where you demonstrated high standards
of personal conduct and adherence to a professional code of ethics?
3. In your experience managing or supporting a substance abuse situation, provide us with
an example how you dealt with conflict or anxiety from one or more residents/members
(which can often occur) and your specific role in that situation.
4. Why are you interested in this position?
The hiring committee is not looking for “right or wrong” answers to these questions, but rather how
they apply to your experiences and to give us a better sense of your management style.
Please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Any questions
should also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Loudoun Serenity House
PEER LEADER RESIDENT Job Description Loudoun Serenity House is seeking a live-in, Peer Leader Resident to help facilitate the support, management and supervision of fellow residents’ overall activities of a sober living home located in Leesburg, VA. NOTE: Responsibilities can be performed on a part-time basis and candidate may work another part-time or full-time job. REPORTS TO: Chair and Operations Chair, Loudoun Serenity House